For the office St. Patrick’s Day potluck, it was a green theme. There were green deviled eggs and green rice krispie treats, along with shepherd’s pie and cabbage rolls. I needed a recipe with some green, some health, and some quickness. This salad from Turning Back the Clock fit all my needs. I adapted the recipe to omit the mayonnaise and got tons of compliments on the dressing. I doubled the recipe and it came together quickly and easily, and fit in with our office Get Fit Challenge. Perfection.
CREAMY BROCCOLI APPLE SALAD
- 4 cups broccoli florets and stalks (If you don’t like the stalks you don’t have to use them but why not?) about three small heads
- 2 large apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 dried cranberries
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, about half a lemon
- 1 cup Fage plain greek yogurt (you can use any plain greek yogurt, I just love Fage, tastes the closest to sour cream and if you get the 0% there is no fat)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the broccoli, apples, carrots, cranberries, onion, and pecans together.
- In a small bowl, mix the Fage, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to combine evenly. Saran wrap for the next day work potluck or dish up a bowl right away.